Re: How can fansubs survive? (was: OT: D&R/End of EVA)

Chad Gombosi (signofzeta@hotmail.com)
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 14:04:12 PST

Yes, there is something you are missing.

The purpose of a Fan Sub is not profit. It is to let people see anime
that does not exist subbed anywhere else. Well it's also used for ego
tripping, but that's another issue all together.

As someone who has dabbled in fan subbing (only did Nausicaa for some
friends), and someone who has many fan-subs, I can say, for one, that I
have never payed anything for fan-sub ecxept the cost of the tape, and I
have never charged for one either.

There are those pricks at comic shows (esspecialy in the Midwest) that
charge up tp $20 for a 10th generation fan-sub that they got for free,
but these people are just pricks. If you know the actualy fan-subbers,
and you give a small donation once in a while, they don't cost much at
all.

Sh*t!!! I just remembered H Hills Kodomo and yawara! tapes have to go
out! I'm coppying them right now, I promise!!!

>Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 01:11:27 -0500 (EST)
>From: Chien Ting Chin <chinc@sten.sunnybrook.utoronto.ca>
>To: gundam@aeug.org
>Subject: How can fansubs survive? (was: OT: D&R/End of EVA)
>
>On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Mark Nguyen wrote:
>> Hell, no! And the odds are it won't be for a while. In any case, ADV
>> will very likely not be doing it.
>> >If so where can you get it?
>> There are fansubs availble (check VKLL on the Anipike), or go through
>
>There is something I don't understand: How can fansubs survive?
>
>As far as I can see, the economy of fansub just doesn't make sense
>compared to other types of piracy (MP3, computer games etc). With
>fansubs, the customers are a narrow select group, the price difference
>between fansub and official releases is minimal (right?) and the
initial
>production cost is huge. It requires special equipment and uncommon
>skills. And unlike fan-fiction writers and game crackers, I don't see
much
>non-monetary satisfaction on the part of the creator. Add to that: the
>official companies have the upper hand with distribution channels, and
the
>video quality of the official release can not be worse than the
fansubs...

Not true!!! I have seen several fan-subs that are better than the
official release. Castle Cagliostro in particular, MSG number 1, ect.

>Yes the incremental cost of fansubs videos is lower but it still
doesn't
>add up in my mind.
>
>Is there something I am missing?
>
>CHIN, Chien Ting
>Dept of Medical Biophysics, Sunnybrook Health Science Centre
>... o O *
>Man is a bubble

Chad Gombosi

"Let me explain a couple of things. Time is short. That's the
 first thing. For the weasel, Time is a weasel. For the hero,
 Time is heroic. For the whore, Time is just another trick.
If you're gentle, your Time is gentle. If you're in a hurry,
 Time flies. Time is a servant, if you are its master. Time
 is your god, if you are its dog. We are the creators of Time,
 the victims of Time, and the killers of Time. Time is timeless.
That's the second thing. You are the clock, Cassiel."

Emit - Far Away So Close