How can fansubs survive? (was: OT: D&R/End of EVA)

Mon, 28 Dec 1998 01:11:27 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Mark Nguyen wrote:
> Hell, no! And the odds are it won't be for a while. In any case, ADV
> will very likely not be doing it.
> >If so where can you get it?
> There are fansubs availble (check VKLL on the Anipike), or go through

There is something I don't understand: How can fansubs survive?

As far as I can see, the economy of fansub just doesn't make sense
compared to other types of piracy (MP3, computer games etc). With
fansubs, the customers are a narrow select group, the price difference
between fansub and official releases is minimal (right?) and the initial
production cost is huge. It requires special equipment and uncommon
skills. And unlike fan-fiction writers and game crackers, I don't see much
non-monetary satisfaction on the part of the creator. Add to that: the
official companies have the upper hand with distribution channels, and the
video quality of the official release can not be worse than the fansubs...
Yes the incremental cost of fansubs videos is lower but it still doesn't
add up in my mind.

Is there something I am missing?

CHIN, Chien Ting
... o O *