Christmas Present

Joaquin Torres (jltorres@Bellsouth.net)
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 18:09:15 -0500

Hello all,

My wife got me an MG MS-06R1 Shin Matsunaga Zaku II for Christmas! Once
again proving that I have the best wife in the world.

This isn't my first MG kit (also have RX-78-2 and Z), but I have a few
comments/questions that maybe some of you can address for me:

1. Is it me, or does it seem like the instructions left out a couple of
parts? From what I can tell, it seems like the manual neglected a
couple of verniers. Maybe Bandai uses the same manual for the Zaku
line, with additions and modifications according to the model.

2. Why the heck is the heat hawk molded in RED? I'm not much of a
painter (which is why I like the MG line so much), so I can't understand
why the heat hawk is solid RED. I eventually ended up painting the thing
so it would look halfway decent, but RED?!

3. I guess this is common sense, but I'm guessing that the extra parts
in the kit are for making variations of the kit, such as the R1-A
variant, or maybe even Dozul Zavi's model. Which reminds me...the kit
has an extra set of shoulder armour parts for the right shoulder, but it
doesn't contain extra spikes...what gives?

4. This is somewhat rhetorical...is there any EASY way of building
those power cables? If the kit didn't cost so much, I would've smashed
the whole thing a half dozen times during building.

5. Is there any easy way to get those decals on? I ruined half the set
because only half of the design would transfer.

6. Finally, the mono-eye on my Zaku is kinda flaky. I seem to be able
to move it in one direction with no problem, but moving it in the
opposit direction results in some sticking. If I try forcing it, the
gears jump and misalign. Is this a problem inherent with the Zaku kits,
or did I just get a bum set of gears?

Well the kit is done and it looks NICE. I'm glad I got this instead of
the MS-14S or regular Zaku. It's sitting on my desk guarding my
computer. Feel free to respond to my comments and questions...I'm
interested in hearing your opinions.

My two yen,

Joaquin Torres