Great Balls Of Mire

dyar@halcyon.com
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 19:37:06 -0800

At 22:26 12/20/98 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 12/20/98 6:00:08 PM Eastern Standard Time, dyar@halcyon.com
>writes:
>
><< It'd probably be more accurate to say that Gundam draws on Heinlein than on
> any of Heinlein's specific works. >>
>

>One of my friends was watching Gundam, and when it came to the part in the
>first movie when those bubble-like red things broke and sealed a hole in the
>ship, my friend actually traced that idea back to one of Heinlein's first
>works.... I'll have to find it tho.. -_-;

Probably SPACE CADET. But Heinlein wasn't the first. The idea is credited
to Willy Ley, who also came up with the dougnut-shaped (toroidal) space
station design often miscredited to Wernher von Braun. (Von Braun's Space
Wheel is a different design, using a rectangular cross-section and two
counter-rotating wheels. It's the one featured in Stanley Kubrick's 2001:
A Space Odyssey.)

BTW, the proper name for the bubble-like red things is "sealant globes" and
the Japanese call the sticky stuff "torimachi" ("birdlime")....

-Z-