Re: which GM is better? 0080 or 08th MS Team?

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 16:03:51 -0700 (MST)

> I find that the 08th MS GM is probably the best looking GM that Bandai has
> put out in terms of anything that even remotely reminds one of GM, incluing
> G-Cannons, Hardyguns, Jegans, and all other Fed's Mass produced MS. 08th MS

  Well, it's tanky and tough looking, but it really is a 'non-faithful'
design. If you take off the new odd GM face it has, it looks more like a
'generic robot' than any particular gundam design. That's because it has a
thick bulky patlabor-style body, big thick spiked knees and other more
generic looking features.

> GM has weapons up its you know where (Rocket Launchers, Machine Guns, Beam
> Sabres, Punching Shields, Bazookas, plus, you can use all RX-79[g]'s
> weapons, such as the Beam Rifles and the Anti-Everything Rifle (TM) ) and

  Well, you get one 100mm machine gun with folding buttstock and removable
clip (!), one big bazooka with removable clip (!) and one triple-pack of
over-the-shoulder missiles. You also get two clear sabers, and a shield.

> still maintains that GM type of look while having its own flair for
> dramatics. Over all, it looks a GM that was made to kick some you know

   It has a tanky look and it is a good model, but somehow it doesn't
carry the classic GM feel in the same way that say, the Nemo does.

> 0080 GMs, on the other hand, maintains the flava of the 0079 GMs but looks
> more dynamic, as Mr. Probe said. Sleek and organic looking, they are more
> like special ops version of our favorite mass produced mobile suit (or our

  Right! They are totally sleek, hip-hop ready-for-action buttkickers!
Very thin and slim too, so it has more of the classic GM proportions than
the big and heavy 8MST GM. They're better articulated than the 8MST GM,
and you get a CLEAR visor piece made out of glowing green plastic!

> second favorite). To top it off, they come in two flavors, Arctic edition
> and Space Commando Version. Finally, with some work and the Full Armor

  Actually, you get the GM-G Ground Commando which comes with the 90mm
rifle, and the GM-GS Space Commando that comes with a beam-pistol and
space-backpack. The Arctic "Chilly" GM is the GM-D, which they never made
as a model.

> parts from the Alex, they can be modified to look liek 0083 GMs.

 Yeah, and you can make a Sniper-GM-II out of them too!

> Guncannon. HardyGun and its F91 counterpart (whatsitsname?) pays their due
> to GM Cannon, or at least the HardyGun anyways. G-Cannon and Magna G-Cannon

  Right, though the Hardygun is too busy and has too many fiddly bits and
the anime "Thundercalf" effect that alot of the F-91 kits suffered from as
well. It comes off also looking too-detailed and too busy, with a rather
bland design. Still, it's a fun model to build!

> pays its homage to GunCannon, and MagnaG has the whole Son of Guncannon

  Right! The Guncannons are great! And the Magna comes with enough parts
to make the regular GC as well! Very very cool! (Even though the Magna
goes way over the top with its giant Cigar cannons, you get the more
'discrete' parts and head from the regular GC which you can use instead!)

> going, right down to the color scheme. While HardyGun looks a bit too busy
> for my own taste, I should say the G-Cannon Boys are big bad asses that does
> some justice to the original dual cannon toting MS.

  Yeah! The HardyGun kinda sucks as far as design goes, though it's a good
model if you just need alot of parts or you don't want to paint, though
its HUGE legs (compared to its body and arms) makes it more laughable than
cool. The G-Cannon Boys on the other hand have a very aggressive "You're
in trouble now, PUNK!" look!

  Other GM kits:
        GMII: Old sucky kit
        Nemo: Old sucky kit
        Jegan: Decent for its time, good design, poor articulation
        Heavygun: Cool modernized GM type, looks great!
        GunEZ: Great looking GM (more gundam-like than usual)
        Jamesgun: Nice modernized and plain GM (Flexible!)
        Javelin: Space version of the Jamesgun! Lots of thrusters!
        Leo: Not a GM, but a modern version of the same idea
        Daughtress: An alternate-universe GM design

                                                                -Probe