Re: MS design

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 09:12:00 -0700 (MST)

> they are just there to make it look cool. The Spike Shoulders are weird
> though, and probably done to tell the kiddies that these robots are the

  If you look at the box art for the 0080 GM-G model you'll see a Zaku
doing a 'shoulder charge' with its spiked shoulder! You'll note that in
that posture, the center spike points straight along the Zaku's direction
of motion! To me this made it obvious what the spikes were for.

> >How about the skirts? Could that be derived from Roman phalanx(?) ?
> Dunno. With later mobile suits, the Skirts served some purpose, but its
> origins? Heck, even Gundams have skirts... With the possible exception of

  It's clearly Yet Another Samurai Armor Motif (YASAM). Especially on the
Dom.

> You may have a case for African Warrior for Gelgoog with its funky shield.

  That's the ONLY thing remotely 'African' about it. It's still full of
YASAMs.

> distinctly Japanese weapon, namely the Beam Naginata. Other than that,
> Gelgoog is a descendant of DOM, which itself is a descendant of Gouf Flight
> Type. And if you've seen a Gouf, you know where it gets its stylings

  I don't see how THAT's possible considering that the Zaku/Gouf/Gelgoog
was designed by Zionic and the Dom was designed by Zimmand.

                                                                -Probe