Re: looking for model building advice

Sean Maroney (zetazot@hotmail.com)
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 05:57:19 PST

Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 01:23:44 -0500 (EST)
From: Chien Ting Chin <chinc@sten.sunnybrook.utoronto.ca>
To: gundam@aeug.org
1. Can you buy or make decals (e.g. I have carbon monoxide warning in
my M113 APC, and Step/No Step labels on my F-18). Do you have
suggesions about what decals would be believeable? (I am thinking about
warning labels near the exhausts, serial numbers for Zakus, and other
vanity-type decals a la WW2 bombers and fighters)

There is a tone of after market decals for aircraft models. You just
have to find a sheet that has the stenciling you want on it.

2. How to make wear and tear stains? Especially how to make water
stains for the marine/submarine MS's? (I am envisioning white water
streaks down from openings and vents on the Zucock-E and Hygog). Also
if you look at the pictures in the Gouf Custom and Zaku II of the 08th
MS Team models, you can see the paints on their spikey shoulder and
shields were beautifully chipped.

Get some artist pastels for the exhaust stains from thruster, weapons,
and such. Since seawater is very corrosive to metal you might want to
consider rust and a stuff. These can also be simmulated with the
pastels. Chipped paint can be done by drybrush an area silver and
painting on a few blotches were the paint has really warn away.

[while on that topic, has anyone put light blubs in the monoeye? Can do
you hide the switch and battery without affecting the appearance and
mobility of the model?]

Careful, the heat from the bulb might damage the plastic if left on for
long times.

3. How to make battle damage. I know this is really a wide topic and
quite advanced, so I just throw this out and see...

Realistic battle damage isn't easy. If you're going to put holes in your
MS you're on your own. Although, I could suggest lead foil for torn
metal. You can get it off of wine bottles.

Sean