Re: The savage replies

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 00:06:17 -0700 (MST)

> Probe sez, of the Perfect Grade Gundam...
> > Yepper. It's a totally new 'take' on the old classic. The exterior is
> >totally plain, the interior hyperdetailed!
> In many ways, it's a reversion to the classic. Many of the arbitrary

  I got that impression from the pics!

> flourishes Okawara inflicted on the Master Grade revamp - the funky ankle
> joints, the shoulder vents, the sharply angled skirt armor, the skinny arms
> and barrel chest, the extra-long knee blocks - have been reversed, and only

  I kinda liked the revamps. You know, I never asked... how does the
original MG gundam kit compare to the most 'recent' MG gundam kits, say,
like the Gundam Mk.II? I keep thinking I should snag one of the original
MG Gundams.

> Overall, the Perfect Grade Gundam is a new interpretation of the classic
> RX-78. If this interpretation looks familiar, check the credits in the
> instruction manual: Hajime Katoki did the concept sketches!

  Excellent! A man can't go wrong with Katoki!
  So, how do you like the kit? How long did it take you to build it, and
how much did you pay? (It sucks to order from Japan because of the
monstrous shipping charges).

> In general, this is part of the continuing revamping of the classic mobile
> suits. You could say the process began with Z Gundam, where the GM II
> sported extra detailing omitted from the original GM design. The GM II was

  Where? GRIN. Seriously, the GMII is just 'barely' more detailed than the
original GM, with a couple extra vents on the legs. Unless I'm not seeing
something here...

> actually based on Kondoh's souped-up versions of the One Year War mobile
> suits seen in the comic series MS Senki, so I guess this would be the Root

  Ah, I see!

> Of All Retcons. Since then we've seen new takes from Katoki (in his
> Sentinel-related artwork and in 0083), Yutaka Izubuchi (Gundam 0080), Mika

  Though he went way overboard on the "Nero"s which looked NOTHING like
the Nemos!

> Akitaka (0083), and Bandai (the HG Gundam, the MG series, and now the PG
> Gundam).

  Yep! Though the HG line seems to have taken the greatest number of
liberties with classic designs.

> At the same time, they tend to come over all faithful when it comes down
> to actually animating flashback sequences - look at the flashback in Char's
> Counterattack, the opening sequence of 0083, or the One Year War mobile

  Kinda cute, no!?
  But ironically, it makes the retoconns even harder to swallow because
you can't use the "Star Trek Klingon" explanation. I.e, "The Zaku really
DOES look like that, you just couldn't SEE the detail in the original MSG
series!"

> the Zaku or the Gundam for the fifteenth time, than the continuity gnomes
> rush in to assign a new model number and classify it as a
> limited-production variant produced in the last days of the war.

  Yeah... after 0083 there seemed to be more "Limited production prototype
special custom" Mobile Suits than _real_ mass-production MSs!

> Ultimately, if you consider only the animated material, the Gundam and
> Zaku and Dom and GM and Gelgoog have _never changed_. Every design revamp
> is explained as being an exotic variant, even if it's based on a
> non-animated redesign of one of the classic mobile suits.

  Right... at least, I've always felt that this is because the animators
never had the guts to say "Hey, the Gelgoog Marine IS the real
mass-production gelgoog" or "The MS-06FII really IS the original Zaku",
etc...
                                                                -Probe