Re: New Bandai catalog/MG Dom (was: More info on the Perfect Grade Gundam!)

Edward Ju (gundam@loop.com)
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 15:58:00 -0800

>> Oh yeah... heard a good rumor today. The real reason behind the Dom's
>>delay was the disappointing sales numbers of the MG Gelgoog kits.
>Bandai made
>>3 variants and stopped making any more precisely because the first 3
>variants
>>did not sell as well as expected.
>
>I remember the last Chicago convention I was at where it was pretty
>easy to get a 'Goog, but the Z and RX-78's were getting snapped up.
>It just...looks a little too...1979-ish still.

        I'll agree that the MG 'Goog has the most non-updated look, but it
doesn't take away the fact that it is the best engineered, best designed MG
kit so far. Except for the head, all the seam lines were hidden so well, and
that is more than I can say for any of the MG Gundams they cranked out so far.
People who are only dazzled by the exterior appearance just can't see the
real beauty within the kit.

> This freaked Bandai out and explains why
>>they ended up making the MG GP-02A instead, which turned out to be an
>even
>>bigger financial loser for them.
>
>Huh? Hard to swallow. It could explain the big mystery for me though:
>Where, oh where, is the MG GP03??? THe whole MG 0083 line seemed to
>be releasing at a pretty consistant rate, and here it is, time for
>the final 0083 Gundam, and...where is it? I mean, I cannot see them
>NEVER releasing it, it's just this wait w/ no talk about it is bugging
>me.

        If anything, the fact that MG GP-02A was a loser only made the
likelihood of a MG Dom release even less likely since Bandai was apparently
using the MG GP-02A to test out some of the designs and technology they would
use for the MG Dom, not to mention the similar size of these two suits.

        It's a good thing they went back to the REAL classics and are doing
conversion/add-on kits now... stay safe for a while and get things right!

>Covering up all the detail on the kit w/ armor was a bad plan, if you
>are going to sell to a wide audience. Kids do not want to play with
>a naked MS, so to speak.

        You see, the thing is that the MG kits STARTED OUT as kits for the
more serious model builders, not your Wing fanboys who just want their
snap-ons. But I guess the MG proved too attractive even to kids which forced
Bandai to put out PG Gundam for the hardcore modellers.

>Well, I wouldn't. This is the thing that
>really cranks me about the P Gundam...put everything together and it
>looks...plain. All the fireworks for the kit are on the inside and in
>the flexibility. I dunno, I guess this one goes in the category of
>taste, but I think detail needs to be moved from the inside out in
>future kits.

        There's a good balance that needs to be found. I agree the PG Gundam
is a tad too plain, but it sure as hell beats the original 1/60 scale kit.

>The 'Goog would have benefitted from this the most, as yo u point out.
>But I think the Crystal kits are kinda getting bad WOM because of its
>"gimmicky" nature.

        The Crystal kits were intended for creative people who can take
advantage of the open-ended approach to customizing the interior details.
Too bad it backfired because the original mold was not well-suited for that
purpose, which forced the Crystal MG 'Goog into a premature death.

>> Just got the new 98-99 Bandai plastic kits catalog. Unlike previous
>>catalogs, this one is actually the size of, say, Time magazine
>(although a
>>bit thinner). The cover feature is obviously the PG Gundam, which got
>4
>>pages' worth of coverage.
>
>Wow...

        The ridiculous thing is that a lot of photos were actually CG, not
photos of the real thing...

>> OK... this next section is a TOTAL DISGRACE. It shows you ONE Gundam
>>from each of the 18 older series and tells you how many kits are
>offered in
>>each series. THERE IS NOT A SINGLE PICTURE FOR EACH OF THE KITS LIKE
>BEFORE
>>and this section used to be the bread and butter of each Bandai
>catalog!
>
>Ow. All the ad budget is going to the big kits...poo.

        Looks like Bandai intends to kill off its older kits - by removing
the photos from the catalog, retailers are less likely to know what to order
and thus they don't have to do reprints as often. This may create a big
secondary market for the older kits.

>>Brain Powerd takes the next 2 pages. Bandai is even hawking their LD
>and
>>video on these pages. Pretty pathetic, since they only have 2 kits and
>one of
>>them is still under development. Lots of still shots to cover the
>empty space.
>
>When are the BP kits supposed to come out? Is Garasaki in there?

        The first kit should have been out (in the catalog it says November).
The mecha looks like a more rounded version of the main mecha from Virtual On
even down to its armament...

>>Next section is Gerasaki.
>
>heh...a-hem
>

> Legends just got the 2nd kit (Isyutal Mk-II)
>>from the series too. It looked like a direct rip of the walker from
>>Evangelion (from the episode titled "A Human Works"), right down to the
>colors!
>
>Well, if your gonna rip off anybody, might as well be Eva...

        Yeah, but the JET WALKER from episode 7 of Eva?! That POS mal-
functioned and almost had a nuclear meltdown... if you wanna rip something
off, at least don't rip off a defective unit.

>Heehaa...the new Tomagatchi! Even KFC has gott'em...this whole Beanie
>Baby/ Furby/ Pokemon phenomenon is contagious!!! CAN YOU FEEL IT?
>CAN YOU? PLEASE, I WANT MORE! I CAN'T GET ENOUGH!! PUSH AND BASH
>THROUGH THOSE YUPPY MOMS TO SCARF UP THOSE 50 FURBY'S SO YOU CAN TURN
>AROUND AND SELL THEM FOR $700 DOLLARS EACH!!! C'MON, JOIN THE FUN!!
>OVER-HYPED TOYS OF THE MOMENT FUN!!! OOOH, A PERFECT GRADE FURBY.....
>DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!*puts
>gun in mouth and ....*

        LOL!

                                                                        Eddie

              .-/ Email: gundam@loop.com .-.
          _.-~ / _____ ______ __ _ _ _ ___ | ~-._
      /..:::::\ http://www.loop.com/~gundam /:::::..\
     \:::::-~ I am an authorized EarthLink Agent. Ask ~-:::::/
      \:-~ me how to switch from your ISP to EarthLink free! ~-:/