Re: New Bandai catalog/MG Dom (was: More info on the Perfect Grade Gundam!)

Mark Kuettner (mkuett@hotmail.com)
Sun, 06 Dec 1998 15:33:34 PST

> Oh yeah... heard a good rumor today. The real reason behind the Dom's
>delay was the disappointing sales numbers of the MG Gelgoog kits.
Bandai made
>3 variants and stopped making any more precisely because the first 3
variants
>did not sell as well as expected.

I remember the last Chicago convention I was at where it was pretty
easy to get a 'Goog, but the Z and RX-78's were getting snapped up.
It just...looks a little too...1979-ish still.

  This freaked Bandai out and explains why
>they ended up making the MG GP-02A instead, which turned out to be an
even
>bigger financial loser for them.

Huh? Hard to swallow. It could explain the big mystery for me though:
Where, oh where, is the MG GP03??? THe whole MG 0083 line seemed to
be releasing at a pretty consistant rate, and here it is, time for
the final 0083 Gundam, and...where is it? I mean, I cannot see them
NEVER releasing it, it's just this wait w/ no talk about it is bugging
me.

  Apparently Bandai probably intended to do a
>MG Gelgoog-like design (i.e. frame w/ removable armor) for the MG Dom,
but the
>negative reaction from kiddies who whine there weren't enough panel
lines
>basically sent Bandai back to the drawingboard scratching their head.
Covering up all the detail on the kit w/ armor was a bad plan, if you
are going to sell to a wide audience. Kids do not want to play with
a naked MS, so to speak. Well, I wouldn't. This is the thing that
really cranks me about the P Gundam...put everything together and it
looks...plain. All the fireworks for the kit are on the inside and in
the flexibility. I dunno, I guess this one goes in the category of
taste, but I think detail needs to be moved from the inside out in
future kits.

 This is
>a real pity, since the MG Gelgoog was clearly designed with the Crystal
>version in mind - the internal frame mechanics would look excellent
with
>crystal armor on top of it, unlike the Crystal Gundam or Zakus, which
looked
>awful mechanically when you can peer through the armor.

The 'Goog would have benefitted from this the most, as yo u point out.
But I think the Crystal kits are kinda getting bad WOM because of its
"gimmicky" nature.

> Just got the new 98-99 Bandai plastic kits catalog. Unlike previous
>catalogs, this one is actually the size of, say, Time magazine
(although a
>bit thinner). The cover feature is obviously the PG Gundam, which got
4
>pages' worth of coverage.

Wow...

> OK... this next section is a TOTAL DISGRACE. It shows you ONE Gundam
>from each of the 18 older series and tells you how many kits are
offered in
>each series. THERE IS NOT A SINGLE PICTURE FOR EACH OF THE KITS LIKE
BEFORE
>and this section used to be the bread and butter of each Bandai
catalog!

Ow. All the ad budget is going to the big kits...poo.

>Brain Powerd takes the next 2 pages. Bandai is even hawking their LD
and
>video on these pages. Pretty pathetic, since they only have 2 kits and
one of
>them is still under development. Lots of still shots to cover the
empty space.

When are the BP kits supposed to come out? Is Garasaki in there?

>Next section is Gerasaki.

heh...a-hem

  Legends just got the 2nd kit (Isyutal Mk-II)
>from the series too. It looked like a direct rip of the walker from
>Evangelion (from the episode titled "A Human Works"), right down to the
colors!

Well, if your gonna rip off anybody, might as well be Eva...

>Anyway, first 2 pages for the kits, next 2 pages for a Gerasaki
board/card
>game called "Mission Director".
>
>ARGH! WHAT IS THIS CRAP! THE NEXT 3-PAGE SECTION IS POCKMON!!!!!
NO!!!!!

Heehaa...the new Tomagatchi! Even KFC has gott'em...this whole Beanie
Baby/ Furby/ Pokemon phenomenon is contagious!!! CAN YOU FEEL IT?
CAN YOU? PLEASE, I WANT MORE! I CAN'T GET ENOUGH!! PUSH AND BASH
THROUGH THOSE YUPPY MOMS TO SCARF UP THOSE 50 FURBY'S SO YOU CAN TURN
AROUND AND SELL THEM FOR $700 DOLLARS EACH!!! C'MON, JOIN THE FUN!!
OVER-HYPED TOYS OF THE MOMENT FUN!!! OOOH, A PERFECT GRADE FURBY.....
DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!*puts
gun in mouth and ....*

I love Christmas time....
Mark Kai