New Bandai catalog/MG Dom (was: More info on the Perfect Grade Gundam!)

Edward Ju (gundam@loop.com)
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 02:17:23 -0800

>Whew!
>
>Darn but this thing looks brilliant, even with all the panels on, and closed
>up it looks great. It's got a real presence [at about 12" tall, that's not
>surprising] Yes, it's not quite the same design as the MG [or HG] version,
>but...
>
>[Oh yes, and the body fits to the legs somewhat awkwardly...]

        I saw the kit today at Legends. They got 4 in and sold 3 right away.
When you open it up the box is divided into 3 parts just like the PG Eva. In
the center there's a big photo of the PG Gundam with hatches open... makes it
look REAL bad... but I'll reserve judgment when I get mine from Japan. I did
notice that there were plated, yes, even COLOR-plated parts.

>Put it this way. I spent 15 minutes just looking at the thing after I'd
>built it.

        You FINISHED building it already? Did you just snap it together or
did you paint the whole thing?

>It's just so... solid looking - there's a small amount of
>painting, even if you don't paint [if you see what I mean] in that the clear
>bits [eyes, and cameras] need to be coloured [yellow, red and green]
>And the way the weapons fit into the hands is nice, and we finally have
>seperate fingers... [oh, and all the legs have a kind of sprung suspension
>and the feet are articulated...]

        SEPERATE FINGERS? Whoa, Bandai's going all out, neh?

>Put it this way It's more than worth the money, even for a guy like me. For
>somebody who can *really* build good models, this is a must.

>[Now, next year, can we have a 1/40 Zeta Gundam, or a 1/12 Scopedog, or a
>1/40 VF1?]

        Nah. Bring on the Zeon suits!!!

        Oh yeah... heard a good rumor today. The real reason behind the Dom's
delay was the disappointing sales numbers of the MG Gelgoog kits. Bandai made
3 variants and stopped making any more precisely because the first 3 variants
did not sell as well as expected. This freaked Bandai out and explains why
they ended up making the MG GP-02A instead, which turned out to be an even
bigger financial loser for them. Apparently Bandai probably intended to do a
MG Gelgoog-like design (i.e. frame w/ removable armor) for the MG Dom, but the
negative reaction from kiddies who whine there weren't enough panel lines
basically sent Bandai back to the drawingboard scratching their head. This is
a real pity, since the MG Gelgoog was clearly designed with the Crystal
version in mind - the internal frame mechanics would look excellent with
crystal armor on top of it, unlike the Crystal Gundam or Zakus, which looked
awful mechanically when you can peer through the armor.

        Just got the new 98-99 Bandai plastic kits catalog. Unlike previous
catalogs, this one is actually the size of, say, Time magazine (although a
bit thinner). The cover feature is obviously the PG Gundam, which got 4
pages' worth of coverage. Then we get the MG Mk-II (1 pg for AEUG, the
and the older MGs get the next two pages.

        The next section starts with a 2 page spread of Endless Waltz 1/144
HG FA kits. On the left are the kits in standard pose, and on the right are
their Fighting Action poses. In the center there's a diorama photo of the 5
Gundams standing on top of a hill/cliff. Flip over to the next page and you
will see the 08th MS Team kits. The Ball LM kit is missing so I guess it is
outta print like the other LM kits.

        OK... this next section is a TOTAL DISGRACE. It shows you ONE Gundam
from each of the 18 older series and tells you how many kits are offered in
each series. THERE IS NOT A SINGLE PICTURE FOR EACH OF THE KITS LIKE BEFORE
and this section used to be the bread and butter of each Bandai catalog!
Anyway, these series are:

MSG (1980-84): 77 kits
MSG Real Type (1982): 7 kits
MSV (1983-4): 34 kits
Zeta Gundam (1985-86): 35 kits
ZZ Gundam (1986): 19 kits
Sentinel (1987-88): 5 kits
CCA (1987-1988): 10 kits
0080 (1989): 9 kits
High Grade (1990-91): 4 kits
F91 (1990-91): 9 kits
F90 (1990-92): 4 kits
0083 (1991-92): 5 kits
SF91 (1992-93): 7 kits
V Gundam (1993-94): 24 kits
G Gundam (1994-95): 26 kits
Gundam W (1995-96): 21 kits
Gundam X (1996): 19 kits
G Unit (1997): 5 kits

The next section are BB Gundams. First you have a 2-page spread of the latest
series (Seven of the Heaven's Stars), including a real type musha that is the
product of 2 SD Gundam's combining. This musha Gundam can also transform to
Phoenix Mode. Flip over to the next page for a re-tread of the Seven of the
Heaven's Stars (curiously, there are actually 10 kits made!). The next page
is an absolute screamer: BB Senshi news: #192 is the SD version of WG0C, and
#193 will be the SD GP-01Fb!!!!!!!!!

Brain Powerd takes the next 2 pages. Bandai is even hawking their LD and
video on these pages. Pretty pathetic, since they only have 2 kits and one of
them is still under development. Lots of still shots to cover the empty space.

Next section is Gerasaki. Legends just got the 2nd kit (Isyutal Mk-II)
from the series too. It looked like a direct rip of the walker from
Evangelion (from the episode titled "A Human Works"), right down to the colors!
Anyway, first 2 pages for the kits, next 2 pages for a Gerasaki board/card
game called "Mission Director".

ARGH! WHAT IS THIS CRAP! THE NEXT 3-PAGE SECTION IS POCKMON!!!!! NO!!!!!

The next 3-page section is for the "Ultra Scene Gallery" - a series of
Ultraman diorama display pieces featuring memorable monsters fighting one of
the Ultramen. 2 of them are actually just the planes from the show.

The last 2 pages were a lot of fun. Bandai is releasing a new series of
Gundam merchanise called "Head Striker" which you might have seen in the pages
of Hobby Japan. It's basically a 3.7cm by 5.0cm SD-like toy, with a big,
ball-like head that shoots out from the shell that houses the head (limbs are
attached to the housing shell).

First one from the series is obviously RX-78, 500 yen, scheduled for a
November release. Next ones are MS-06 (3 kinds: Char's S, regular S, and
grunt versions), also 500 yen and November relase. #3 is WG0C, same price
and slated for a December release. #4 is Zeta Gundam, same price, December.
Those are pretty cheesy-looking but I am gonna get myself one of these!

                                                                        Eddie

              .-/ Email: gundam@loop.com .-.
          _.-~ / _____ ______ __ _ _ _ ___ | ~-._
      /..:::::\ http://www.loop.com/~gundam /:::::..\
     \:::::-~ I am an authorized EarthLink Agent. Ask ~-:::::/
      \:-~ me how to switch from your ISP to EarthLink free! ~-:/