Re: Gundam 0079 in English from Viz

Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 00:30:49 -0800

Dafydd writes,

>The Gundam 0079 manga currently runs to five volumes, with a collective
>page count of about 880 pages. That's 27 to 28 issues @ 32 pages/issue.
>At 190-odd pages, Volume 1 alone would be six 32-page issues.
>
>I suspect that a good percentage of those 32 pages are going to be ads and
>other filler and that this 8-issue series will only cover Volume 1.

  Having been authorized to blab, I pass along this info from Julie,
who'll be editing the comic...

  Though the first issue will be pretty much wall-to-wall comics, you are
correct that there'll be some filler in the subsequent seven. Good news
is that this filler will consist of a bit of letters, a bit of fan art...
and a lot of background material, which I've been signed up to compose.
You'll get a few pages of Gundam lore in every issue to supplement the
comic story, and not all this material will be included in the eventual
compilation volume.

  I recall somebody mentioning their plan to skip the individual issues
and wait for the compilation volume, just like they did with Patlabor.
That's a fine idea - if you want the Gundam comic to get cancelled, just
like Patlabor. In the meantime, the plan is to sweeten the deal with cool
background info. Hope you like it.

-- Mark