Re: Some questions about Zeta Gundam

Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 15:36:45 -0800

Edmund Chiu asks,

"1) What is Camille's contribution to Zeta Gundam? In the TV series, he is
the one who create the overall design of Zeta Gundam, based on the designs
he has seen on Rick Diaz and Gundam Mk-II (at least that's what I get from
watching it). From the various books I read, it seems that Camille is the
one who come up with the head design (the closing and opening of antenna)
and about the transforming into Waverider so it can go into the atmosphere
without any extra equipment."

  Let's see. The movable frame stuff was derived from the captured Mk.II
and from Anaheim's own experiments (the Type 100, et al). The providence of
the re-entry capabilities seems unclear - does Camille seem to know about
the Flying Armor already, or is he surprised when it's rolled out in
episode 11? It's been so long since I saw the episode, I can't recall. So,
in all, I have no idea what Camille brought to the party.

"2) Why is Zeta Gundam's transforming so complex? The other transforming MS
in Zeta, like Psycho Gundam, Methuss, etc., the tranforming sequence is
relatively easy and plain (just move your arms and legs into place, and
maybe put something over the head) while Zeta's transforming sequence is a
pain in the neck (I have the MG, so I know it is a real pain)."

  And it's so complex that it's almost impossible to replicate in a toy or
model. If they were trying to trump the Valkyrie with an elaborate
transformation, I think the designers overreached.

-- Mark