Re: Hizack

Mark Nguyen (mnguyen@hotmail.com)
Wed, 02 Dec 1998 11:11:49 PST

>Actually, no. Using many different production companies for parts is
>very logical during war time. It basically insures that you don't
>leave all of the eggs in one basket. The #2 Nazi fighter-interceptor
>in WWII was designed with this in mind. During the Allied carpet
>bombing of German industries, the parts for the main fighter was
>severely affected, but the parts for the #2 fighter (whose name
>escapes me) continued unabated almost until the end of the war. The
>parts are manufactured in bicycle shop, furniture shop, etc.

Well, what I'm talking about is the compatibility of parts, and not
really the availability of parts.

What I'm saying is essentially the for the Feds, a ball bearing from the
knee joint of a GM-G would probably work very nicely in a GM Sniper, but
that a ball bearing from a Rick Dom wouldn't do much good at all in a
Zaku. With Jion fielding large quantities of very different mobile
suits, it would be difficult to keep a steady supply of parts going and
in inventory. Unlike the Feds, who would have a supply of interchagable,
generic parts that could easily be swapped between suits.

Towards the end of the 1YW, Jion was pulling out all the stops and
fielding pilots in untested prototypes or even outdated MS (eg. the
MS-05 Zaku I). I wonder how much of this was because some MS troops had
a whole lot of MS without compatible parts:

"Ah heck, my Rick Dom's knee joint needs to be replaced!"
"Well, we've got a crate of spiffy new Gelgoog parts here - crap! We
can't use them!"
"I guess I'll have to take this Zaku I instead. Man, I wish I had a
GM..."

Mark-II